The Transport Systems and Operations Competence Area concentrates its R&D expertise on the following:
- Generating new knowledge and understanding of the demand and supply-side drivers of passenger and freight transport systems and operations in South Africa and countries in Africa
- Delivering appropriate and relevant knowledge platforms that have sustainable impact on transport infrastructure to the benefit of the country and the region, its economy and its people.
- Network asset management
Asset management systems, including bridge management systems; abnormal load management; heavy vehicle self –regulation; overload control; performance-based standards for heavy vehicles.
- Passenger transport
Modelling travel behaviour and the economics of transport and transport operations; transport economics; aviation operations economics; informing the design of passenger transport service contracts, including the Pan-African aviation services.
- Intelligent systems and traffic management
Research on traffic safety engineering and traffic management; assessment of the strategic transport needs in the country; intelligent transport systems; transport systems management, including greening of transport.
Research facilities and platforms
- Intelligent transport systems
- Struman bridge management system
Enquiries - Competence Area Manager:
Derick Matthee, tel 012-841-4289; email firstname.lastname@example.org