The new board of Agrèment South Africa - the body responsible for certifying non-standardised construction products - was inaugurated in February 2008 by the Minister of Public Works, Ms Thoko Didiza. Agrèment South Africa is currently managed by CSIR Built Environment.
Ms Thoko Didiza, Minister of Public Works (seated, second from right), at the inauguration event with (seated, from left) Solomon Malebye, Pepi Silinga,
Nozi Shabalala and (back row, from left) Dr Mohammed Tayob, Khomotso Choma, Phethola Makgathe (outgoing chair), Joe Odhiambo (Manager: Agrèment South Africa), Cannon Noyana, Mike Marler, Ntebo Ngcobo and Sydney Seane
During her keynote speech, Ms Didiza said advocacy of new innovation by providing scientific evidence of its authenticity was critical to changing the mindset of those who were dubious about the role of innovative products and services in the building and construction industry.
Ms Didiza posed the question whether Agrèment's role should be limited to the setting of standards for non-standard products (as opposed to the SABS, which sets standards for conventional products), or whether it should also be involved in innovative processes. She emphasised the need for synergy between the various agencies within the Department of Public Works and the Department of Science and Technology.
During his address, Joe Odhiambo, manager of Agrèment South Africa, paid tribute to Ms Didiza as an inspiring leader and lauded her efforts to support the organisation.
The new board comprises:
- Pepi Silinga - CEO, Coega Development Corporation and Agrèment South Africa board chairperson
- Cannon Noyana - Managing Director, Noyana's Management Consultancy
- Solomon Malebye - Deputy Director-General: Operations, Department of Public Works
- Nozibusiso Shabalala - Director, SA Asphalt
- Khomotso Choma - Managing Director, Turnkey Projects
- Ntebo Ngcobo - Company Director and civil projects engineer
- Mike Marler - Municipal Infrastructure Specialist, Development Bank of Southern Africa
- Lethola Moshe - Managing Director: Botle Business Consultants
- Sydney Seane - General Manager: Mechanical and Materials, SABS
- Edwin Kruger - Bridge Network Manager: South African National Roads Agency Limited (SANRAL)
- Dr Mohammed Tayob - CEO: Ezindaleni Global Holding (Pty) Ltd.