Environmental / Microbiological analysis
The Environmental laboratories are based in Cape Town, Pretoria and Durban. These laboratories are equipped to test water samples for an extensive set of quality parameters and harmful impurities, including minerals, chemicals and organic substances. Other related specialised water services are also offered.
The CSIR Water Chemistry Laboratories (Pretoria - Inorganic, Durban and Stellenbosch) provide analytical services to a range of water domains including:
- Groundwater - boreholes,
- Surface water (pools, ponds, dams, lakes, rivers and streams, drinking water,)
- Waste water: industry effluents, leachates and mine water
- Drinking water
- Bottled water
The test results are used for the following regulations and compliance:
- Blue Drop certification for drinking water
- Green Drop analytical requirements
- Site, sample and waste characterisation
- Land/site remediation projects
- Ground water monitoring
- Quality control and regulatory requirements standards for Drinking water (SANS 241) and for Bottled water (SANS 1657)
These laboratories have for many years been involved in the analysis of samples from the estuarine and marine environments. As a result, the laboratories have developed the capacity to analyse water, biological tissue and sediments from these environments for general physiochemical properties, nutrients, metals and organic chemicals. We also analyse water and effluent samples for similar constituents.
The Organic laboratory in Pretoria undertakes specialised analysis of organic compounds in soil, sediment, water and air samples.
In order to assure the quality of analytical results the laboratory adheres to the ISO 17025 standard which details the quality policies and procedures required of an accredited laboratory. All laboratories are accredited by the South African National Accreditation System (SANAS).
Mellisa Govender Kirkpatrickmgovenderkirkpatrick@csir.co.za
012 841 4145/ 076 417 1834