Fires and explosion research, testing and training facility
The CSIR-managed fires and explosion testing and training facility at Kloppersbos is located approximately 40 km north of Pretoria. The size and location of the facility allows controlled large-scale coal dust/methane explosions as live demonstrations when training mine workers.
Its services include:
- Mine fire and explosion safety awareness training seminars;
- Fire and explosion suppression/mitigation product testing and evaluation;
- Conveyor belt fire retardant property testing;
- Explosibility testing of coal dust and industrial dusts such as those in the pharmaceutical, food and chemicals sector; and
- Evaluation of mine ventilation products and systems.