Biomanufacturing Industry Development Centre
The Biomanufacturing Industry Development Centre (BIDC) was established to translate biotechnology-based research and development (R&D) into market-ready products and services. The project is housed at the CSIR and offers competency throughout the value chain, i.e. from laboratory scale validation through to demonstration of technology, prototyping and pilot manufacturing.
The BIDC is a hub for open innovation in biomanufacturing and has a strong focus on supporting start-ups and small, medium and micro enterprises (SMMEs) with the development of new technologies and products. It provides incubated companies with access to ready-to-use biomanufacturing facilities and supporting R&D laboratories. The programme also provides access to experts in the fields related to bioprocess development, prototyping, pilot manufacturing and scale-up capabilities. The hub includes laboratories for molecular biology, applied biochemistry, biocatalysis and fermentation, as well as laboratory and pilot-scale process development. These facilities are complemented by high-end analytical infrastructure at the CSIR.
- Technology demonstration and validation at lab scale;
- Product development and prototyping;
- Scale-up of technologies to pilot scale;
- Biochemical analysis; and
- Contract manufacturing.
Labs and facilities
- Research and development labs include molecular biology, protein purification and a one-litre fermentation laboratory;
- Chemical laboratories and analytical infrastructure;
- Natural products pilot facility up to 400 litres;
- 20 litre bioprocessing facility;
- 200 litre and 1 000 litre bioreactors housed in the bioprocessing pilot plant;
- Downstream processing facility: product isolation, purification and polishing; and
- Product formulation and packaging.
Our success stories
- 38 enterprises contracted since inception;
- 108 products in market evaluation stage, in the market or transferred to SMMEs;
- 183 new permanent jobs recorded;
- 93 interns equipped with vocational skills; and
- 26 licences signed, 4 technology demonstrators.
+27(12) 841 4634